Saturday, June 12, 2010

Baby Bunnies


This morning, 6/12/2010, Bunnicula birthed 10 babies..... outside of the nest box. She didn't even nest this time, and after she had them, she freaked & was running around the cage. We got the 6 bunnies we could reach with ease into the nest box, and then I was able to reach 2 of the 4 that somehow got stuck up under the wood & between that & the hardware cloth. Bunnicula proceeded to jump in & out of the nest box trampling the babies. 2 more were even further back & I had to cut the wire to get to them. My hand is all cut up now, but the babies were out. They were SOOOO cold & we were so worried she would kill them by stepping on them, I brought them in to warm them. After they were warmed, I took 4 back to the hutch to see how she'd react. I slathered vicks's vapo rub on her nose, and went about my business. The 4 were fine about an hour later, so I checked the buns inside. 3 of those were gone :-( I took the remaining 3 back out to the next box & will continue to check on them throughout the day.

I did make a run to the store to purchase some items. If the babies are not fed by morning, I'll need to make formula for them in an attempt to save them. From what I understand it's going to be near impossible to rear them by hand, but not totally impossible.

1 comment:

The Mom said...

Poor bunnies. I hope you woke to good news about Bunnicula's parenting skills.