Tuesday, February 16, 2010

February 15th 2010

I bred Bunnicula again. She had 7 babies on the 2nd, but killed them all. Being a first-time mother, this behaviour is common & was not surprising. If she keeps at least one baby alive on her next kindling, we will keep her. I know mothers also kill deformed & unhealthy babies, but repeated litter killing can mean bad blood lines. She has another chance, and if all goes badly again, she will go to the stew pot. I have still not been able to breed Mary with success, but hope to try her with Cowboy again sometime this week. If she takes, I need to hustle & build another nest box. Mary will be attempted for breeding at least twice, but if she refuses to submit, or things don't go as planned, she will also go to the stew pot. I pray this is not the case, as I had a very difficult time finding rabbits for meat breeding here in Wyoming. If I have to set out to search for 2 new does, I will most likely have to drive to Boise or SLC, UT.

Fortunately, Cowboy knows EXACTLY what to do. He'll be staying.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Before you go looking far afield for rabbits, check with the 4-H office. There should be some kids with New Zealands or Californians.

Another option is to check with ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association). There is a club in Casper and some of their members should have some meat does, too.

Good luck!