Saturday, March 20, 2010

Baby rabbits!!!

Or as Hubba says "Congratulations, Granma."

Sometime during the night of 3/18, morning of 3/19, Bunnicula gave birth to at least 6 kits. As of last night before bed, there was still movement. After our last experience with her & babies (which I realise is normal), I've done my best not to mess with them too much, but I still remain a little not-so-optimistic. I was advised by a friend who has raised rabbits for meat, to use tongs to carefully lift the fur to see the babies. Giving momma-doe a carrot keeps her busy while I do the task. Each time I have opened the door to her hutch (to see if there's movement), I've made sure I had "something to do" so she doesn't get suspicious. I've given her carrots & added feed or water to her hutch.

I'll report back as things progress. Unfortunately, Mary will no longer be with us soon. I'd like to try her just one more time, but I'm really not hopeful at all that she'll conceive. Hey, on the bright side- I'll get to learn how to butcher a rabbit.

If Bunnicula cares for her babies, as she's supposed to, we'll be choosing a female rabbit from her litter. When breeding for pets & meat, you can & can't inbreed certain family members (I'll get to that in another post). When I told Hubba of my plans to keep one of the litter, and why, he suggested I keep 2..... just in case. Sometimes that man amazes me.

No comments: