Sunday, April 4, 2010

Active bunnies, a broody hen & a freezer full of meat.....

Today I went out to take care of Bunnicula & check her babies. They are starting to come out of the nest box to investigate. They are getting huge already. The baby that was out the first time I saw this, was sniffing at the fresh food I'd just put down & licked it a couple of times.

A few days ago I had a Buff Orpington that whenever she was in the nest box & went into the coop, would ruffle up her feathers like a peacock & "bark" at me. Today I went out to take care of the rabbits, and I decided to check for eggs one last time. Floppy was STILL in the nest box, as she was 7 hours before. I had removed the eggs from under her earlier this afternoon, so she was sitting on nothing..... It dawned on me that she is broody. I immediately texted a few times with a friend of mine that has hens & roosters to ask for eggs. I came home with 10 eggs from her various breeds, marked them & put them in the nest box with Floppy. She moved them underneath her, and I'm hoping in 3 weeks I'll be a new chickie Momma (again).

While I was over getting the eggs, they gave me a trash bag half full of frozen, sealed meat to bring home. Hubba & He had made an agreement for us to buy the deer meat he taught me to butcher several months ago. He wouldn't take payment from me, and added some elk meat to the bag as well....

No comments: