Friday, May 21, 2010

A Funeral on the Funny Farm.....



Yesterday we went to pick up our chick order. 20 White Plymouth Rocks for us, 10 White
Plymouth Rocks for a friend, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 White turkeys, 1 bronze turkey. An order that was canceled had 2 silkies. The lady gave them to us. Then there was this.....




The kids begged for him. I'm a sucker for the last one left..... So he came home with us. I jumped online & dove into my books to learn how to care for this little 'guy.' I set him up just as I'd read, but by bedtime, he still wasn't eating or drinking on his own..... And sometime in the wee hours of the morning, he moved on to Duckie Heaven. Keenan is quite upset, even though I'd warned him that we may not be able to keep him alive, never having done this. I'm used to this, though. He cried when the hamster died. He cried when the lizard died. He cried when our dog ran away.... He's a very sensitive little man.

One of life's lessons..... Today we'll have a funeral for the little duckie.

On a good note, the 28 chicks & 3 poults are doing wonderfully. Hubba thinks the silkie pictures on the web look like poodles. We've taken to calling them "Choodles." Fitting if you ask me.

No comments: